JASON BEITCHMAN – PROFILE
Commercial Litigation | Civil Fraud | AML | Cryptocurrency
Jason Beitchman is a commercial litigation lawyer with expertise in civil fraud, anti-money laundering and cryptocurrency. An experienced trial and appellate lawyer, Jason is repeatedly recommended by other lawyers, professional advisors and former clients for his practical advice, good judgment and strategic approach to litigation.
In his commercial litigation practice, Jason’s expertise includes a wide range of complex commercial disputes, shareholder claims, class actions, franchise disputes, intellectual property, wrongful termination, professional negligence and real property disputes. Jason’s effectiveness as counsel comes in part from his tenacity in understanding the business and personal goals of his clients, and his dedication to achieving those goals.
Jason’s civil fraud, AML and cryptocurrency practice focuses on: (i) recovery of loss arising from all types of fraud; (ii) claims arising from investment losses; and (3) assisting regulated professionals and entities respond to investigations or allegations from regulators including the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC), the Financial Transactions Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (FINTRAC), Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC), the Mutual Fund Dealers Association (MFDA) and the Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO).
Jason is a leading expert in compliance proceedings arising from the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act. The proposed inclusion of regulations under the Proceeds of Crime Act for ‘digital currency’ triggered Jason’s interest in the developing laws and regulation surrounding cryptocurrency, and he has since developed expertise and works with clients in this area.
An active member of the legal community, Jason recently completed a three-year mandate on the Executive Committee of the Ontario Bar Association’s Civil Litigation Section. Among other projects, he helped to craft recommendations submitted to Toronto’s Regional Senior Justice on ways to improve efficiency and access to justice for litigants in the Ontario courts.
Before opening his own litigation firm in 2015, Jason spent several years as a go-to litigator at one of Canada’s largest national law firms. Prior to that, he served as a judicial law clerk to Justice Robert L. Barnes of the Federal Court of Canada.
Jason lives in Toronto, Canada with his wife and three children.
CALL TO THE BAR
British Columbia, 2012
Of Jason’s 30 reported decisions, 16 have been cited by courts in Ontario, Manitoba, British Columbia and federally a total of 97 times (as reported by CanLII.org). This does not include the four Supreme Court of Canada appeals, which collectively have been cited by other courts 175 times.
A list of Jason’s reported cases is available here.
In addition to his reported decisions, Jason has dozens of unreported decisions and has assisted clients with dozens more cases that have been resolved out of court, in arbitration or through mediation.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- February 21, 2019 – Jason Beitchman interviewed by ACAMS moneylaundering.com on newly published FINTRAC guidelines on penalties and enforcement, “Canadian FIU Stakes Enforcement Claim in Guidance, AML Exam Manual”
- November 7, 2018, Presenter, Canadian Money Services Businesses Association, FINTRAC Penalties & Appeals Update
- August 6, 2018 – Interviewed for CBC National Radio and Print on issues relating to bitcoin regulation, CRA surveyed businesses to find out why they’re taking bitcoin ATMs
- July 18, 2018 Panelist, AML Regulations for Cryptocurrencies, hosted by Blockgeeks.com
- June 13, 2018 – Jason Beitchman quoted in Bitcoin Magazine article, “Regulatory Changes: Proposed Regulations Could Cause Major Shifts in Canadian Crypto Businesses”
- May 11, 2018, Presenter, Appraisal Institute of Canada, You’re Being Sued: What’s Next?
- April 20, 2017, Chair, OBA Civil Litigation Section Program, Pleading Your Case Successfully
- December 2016, Jason Beitchman Interviewed in Keeping Tabs
- May 2016, Co-Chair, OBA Civil Litigation Section Program, Innovation in Litigation: Responding to Changes in the Legal Industry
- October 2015, Presenter, Canadian Money Services Businesses Association Fall Conference, FINTRAC Compliance Proceedings and Appeals
- September 2015, Presenter, Money Laundering in Canada Conference, Responding to FINTRAC Findings of Non-Compliance
- April 8-9, 2015, Presenter, 14th Annual Forum on Anti-Money Laundering, FINTRAC Compliance Proceedings and Appeals
- 2015: Publication, A FINTRAC Primer: The Compliance Regime
- 2014: Publication, Summary Judgment Update: Supreme Court Signals Culture Shift to Greater Access to Justice
Professional services provided through Jason Beitchman Professional Corporation